Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Another Idol Kind of Day....

Tonight we have another fan-tabulous Idol performance night. Last week I was in Florida and couldn't do a recap (not that anyone reads my recaps anyway!) but I'm back on track. Last week my fave Adam just TORE UP the Ring of Fire. At first listen I didn't like it, but after listening to it a few more times it really grew on me. Amazing sound and range. It's TOTALLY Adam.

The judges "almost" used their save on Alexis, but "Jolene" was awful, and I suppose they're saving it for Danny or Adam. I was bummed that Alexis was booted - she did NOT do a good job on "Jolene", but Michael Sarver does not belong on the tour. Last week he mumbled through Garth Brook's "Ain't Goin' Down ('til the sun comes up)" and was just awful. He had to slow it down to try to fit the words in and it showed that he had to work way too hard. He has so much tension in his singing and his face, which affects his tone tremendously. If he'd relax his jaw he might gain a better tone and enunciate better. Can't believe he gets to go on tour.

This week is "Motown Week". Usually there are some good performances with this theme (unlike Country week!) so I'm looking forward to it.

First up is Matt who sang "Let's Get it On". It was ok - Smokey was kind to him. It sounded a bit generic and as Simon would say, "karaoke". Of course, the judges gush over him. Simon calls him "brilliant" and a "front runner". Ugh. He sang in key - but he's just simply not my fave.

Next up, Kris. Of course, my kids boondoggle my time; I started trying to get their movie up on the LCD tv (from computer) at 6:45...and at 7:20 still having problems! Some Idol night it'd be nice if I could just not be interrupted a gazillion times.

Ok, back to Kris - eh. Or Meh. It sounded good, but it always bothers me that he practically dislocates his jaw several times during his performance. That's so distracting and shows a lot of tension. He really needs to stand in front of a mirror and sing (something we did in music school). It shows you what bad habits you're building up and work to eliminate them. Simon said he needs to stand like a star and "not like he's at a bus stop" LOL.

Blind Scott sang, "You Can't Hurry Love". I liked his performance and how he changed it up. Good job! OMG, Paula is making sense and making musical comments! Uh-oh, Simon didn't like it - "honky tonk piano" & "cheap". He's trying to dig a ditch and kick poor Scott into it. Uh-oh, Randy agrees with him. Kara said he brought "tempo"...I believe she means "up tempo"? Duh.

Best moment so far; Simon kept interrupting Paula and she reached under the desk and whipped out a coloring book and a box of 64 crayons and told him to keep his six year old insults to himself....something like that. Cracked me up!

Megan sings, "For Once in My Life". I hate her green striped top...oh gosh, and I hate her dress and that huge distracting tattoo. She pushes through "me" and lose her breath support again. Very breathy on "true". She's flinging her hips in her little Megan ditsy dance...ewww. There were parts that I liked, but not my fave (I liked her "Put the Records On"). Randy thought it was a train wreck. Kara suggested "My Guy"...oooh, that would've been great for her! Oh gosh, Simon rips her a new one. I almost feel sorry for her!

They've had a commercial in-between EACH performer!! Good thing I can read the news, cut my nails, feed the dog and other various sundry things on these long breaks.

Anoop is up with "Oooh Baby Baby". He started out a bit rough - he's not supporting his breath by sitting hunched over. His falsetto on "baby baby" is too thin and reedy. Then he moves through the mask in his face and the sound is like a different singer - that's it Anoop! He slowed it down a bit too much, but overall it was a good performance. Kara called it a "skill set"...way to go in the engineering talk! ha ha They want him to go back to up tempo - but does he have another one in his pocket like "My Prerogative"? Oh, and could someone wax his eyebrows a bit?

Oh no...Sarver after the break. I need to come up with a nick-name..."Sarver-who-doesn't-belong-in-the-top-ten". Ok, that's way too long...

My hubby came in and tried to talk to me too - I told him I'd talk to him at 9 and he got mad at me. Is it a crime to not want to be interrupted?

We find out he didn't make the trip to Detroit. He sings, "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" Again he tightens up the outside corners of his mouth and his jaw. Smokey tells him he basically needs to sing out - and he doesn't. LOL...Paula calls it "Las Vegas loungy". Simon hated it. Hopefully he'll be gone this week, but I wish we could bring Alexis back in his place!

Next up is Lil Rounds. We just saw her for a moment...I love her flapper dress! So far we've had some very lackluster - and a few ick performances. C'mon Lil...wow us!

Lil sings "Heatwave". This is the first outfit that has flattered her figure. Don't like the hair - but ok, can't have everything! She winds up shouting quite a bit through the song - as if she is singing without a mike and hopes they hear her in the back of the auditorium. Pretty good - and very true to the original. Maybe too copy-cat. Oh gosh, Kara said pretty much what I was thinking. Paula is on something again - oh wait, she said that she didn't change anything in the song, but somehow she "owned" it? Simon called her authentic, but should've picked "Heard it Through the Grapevine".

Oh my gosh - they just showed Adam pre-commercial, and he looked like Zac Effron! LOL...I heard he's going to sit on a stool and sing. Obviously he's not going glam or over-the-top, so this oughta be good. He needs to give a more mainstream performance at this point. Even though I loved last weeks performance, I doubt most of America did.

Uh-oh...we get just the Fox logo! Don't pre-empt my Adam! AAAAAARGH! What's he doing...stripping? LOL I hope they don't cut his performance out.

Oh goody! He's on! I loved Smokey's description of why it's called "Tracks of My Tears" and I think he scared Adam when he noted that Adam sings it softly throughout - Adam seemed to at first think it was a criticism...but then realized it wasn't and was relieved. Adam performs it with an acoustic guitar, a drum and the string bass. It was beautiful, but wasn't my favorite song of Adam's. Still, he was the BEST one of the night. Smokey stood up and gave the thumbs up sign. Kara stood up. Simon disagrees with Kara to say it was THE best performance of the night. Simon mentioned how he took off the black nail polish and "straightened up" ha ha - but I wish he would've taken out those button earrings. He then would've looked more like a straight guy. I liked how Randy said he used "everything in his arsenal". True, how true - he is a real artist. I'm sure he'd never put this on an album, but it shows how talented he is in arranging and performing a totally new version of an age-old favorite. They must be running behind because Ryan just says they have nothing more to say and goes to commercial.

Next up, Hokey-Gokey. I didn't make that one up, but I like it. He sings, "Get Ready". Halfway through this song I think, "Wow...this is a great song choice for him". He screeches through a bit of it, but I actually enjoyed it a bit. Oh no! He makes the background singers do those circles with the hands....NOOOOO! Paula admits they have to move fast. Simon called it clumsy and amateurish. Wow...hard to believe I liked it better than the judges! Huh, better check my temperature.

Last up is Allison - she is going to sing, "Papa Was a Rolling Stone". Of course, I think of David Hernandez (the gay stripper) from last season - he actually did a good job with this. Since Allison is in the pimp spot - I'd bet that she will slay this....after the break, of course.

Even her speaking voice sounds as if she smokes several packs of cigarettes a day. Who dressed her tonight? It's as if someone went into her closet and threw random items out and said, "Wear THIS!". Sometimes as she sings she jumps ahead of the musicians, but overall it was a very good performance (which is why she's last!). Kara lept up and encouraged the audience to clap and scream. She said, "That is from "God". Simon drew a mustache on Paula's face.

So, who will go? I predict it'll be Michael Sarver (but then I thought he should've gone last week). Hopefully he's not the "Scotty the Body" of Season 8.






No comments:

Post a Comment